Friday, April 20, 2007

Caught in a Whirlwind.

No, no update on the word counts today, don't bother looking. I find myself caught in a whirlwind of events that I cannot control; because if I could I'd be laying down a metaphoric layer of glue hoping my feet get caught in it.

I have so much going on in my head, both personally and in the world. The personal rants can be found on my other blog.

I don't need to repeat the tragedy of Virgina Tech, anyone with CNN or the ability to read knows what I am referring too. What has been worrying me is the repeated mentioning of this young man's writing. As if the horrors he wrote about should have warned the teaching staff of what was to come.

That kind of thinking scares me. I write all sorts of things, and yes sometimes they can be very disturbing, but I'm not about to go postal. It is merely my imagination working through something that is bothering me. To judge a person's mental capacity based on what they write...is dangerous. Not to mention the fact that it takes a very large step towards censorship in my mind.

I was relieved to read a couple newspaper articles today voicing a similar concern that I have. Both times it was mentioned that you cannot merely predict something based on a person's writing.

Stephen King (one of my favourite authors, and who, I might add, has written his fair share of terrifying things) voiced his opinion in this article On Predicting Violence. There is also an article in the The New York Times that is worth reading.

My heart goes out to the families that have been affected by this tragedy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Background