Sunday, March 4, 2007

Pantster vs Plotter

Had anyone asked me this question in the beginning I would have stated 'Pantster' in a heartbeat. There is something cool about writing from the hip, closing your eyes and pointing on a map to decide where to go. A rebel of the writing craft.

I am fast learning that I am just not one of them.... I think

For me writing by the seat of my pants is fine for RPG's or small bits because you don't have to worry about what happens 50 pages later. Now I want to plan out the entire book, not in detail because I'm afraid that will stifle some of the creativity but I need to know where they are going. What secrets are hidden behind the corners that they don't know about? What little clues can I drop in now that aren't understood until later? How can I write a reaction to something if I don't know about something in their past that will aid or hinder the decision making process.

The most difficult part I have found is that I can't write for a character until that character has taken on a life of it's own in my subconscious. The vicious circle is that how can this character develope unless I get writing and see how they react to what is happening. Technically a pantster trick in my book.

Sound confusing...yea to me too.

For now the only way to describe my current technique is to plot out the scenes but then let the characters be the pantsters.

I'll let you know if it works.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Background